Mittwoch, 1. Juni 2016

Heading out of town

Finally out of town I was able to do a few kilometers more without stopping but it was still same exhausting cause the weather became even hotter and without a single cloud the sun burns like hell. As a consequence I had to drink a lot (about 4-5 liters) Thanks to my waterbag (Max. 20 liters ;)! I put it between my to bags in the back with the opening to the bottom so I can get water instantly and don't have to go to fuel stations all the time.
Hose at the back of my bike, can get water instantly:D

I'm on the countryside now but in the moment it looks totally different from the countryside I know in Europe. It's like everywhere a few houses next to each other, a little space between, then the next few houses with so much space, huge gardens and quite a distance to the street. Guess they just have to much space, but it's even in the towns like this so it must be not that expensive to build here.
So much space to live here!

Crossing Delaware River and entering Pennsylvania

Everybody I meet is so nice, no bad people yet. Most of them ask were I go and wish me good luck or safe travels. Some tell me something about the area around here or give me some advice like the guy in the bike shop I went to. He told me that it's better to go from the west to east because there's a lot of wind blowing from the west...Thanks for that one!-_-
Flags in front of so many houses, in Germany you would be called more than just patriotic for that!

What is kinda sad is that in front of a lot of houses you can see the posters "vote for TRUMP, make America great again!" but just one single poster I saw had the name of Bernie Sanders on it. Do we really have to worry about who's gonna be president? I hope not so!
No comment:/

Another little sad thing is the amount of Gated Communities in this area what I haven't been expecting at all. Gated Communities seem like normal places to live: a couple of streets with houses but they actually lock themselves away from all the other people. A fence around the whole place just allows getting in through one or two gates where you have to show your proof of residency. Usually that's a way to live for rather rich people who don't wanna get in touch with any kind of crime (what is the common reason apparently). But in fact it supports the segragation of the rich from the poor what is not good at all in my opinion. And what must that be for a kind of way to live abroad from normal live behind a fence? I don't get the point of that at all.
Entrance to a Gated Community

Changing the subject:
The place I chose to sleep for this night was a state park north of Philadelphia which said on the website that camping is allowed. Unfortunately it turned out that it's just organized group-camping. The park ranger said normally he would send me away but he didn't want me to ride my bike at night on the road so I was allowed to stay. He saved my day!
Fort Washington State Park where I stayed the night

Pretty comfortable with a table!:)

Not that much changed the next day except that I'm now really on the countryside. Nothing there except of few farmhouses and hills everywhere. It totally looks like the countryside at home in the moment. Took a few pictures to compare with back home.
It was still insanely hot and I broke my record in drinking water, about 6 liters that day for a distance of 110 km what seems to be about what I can cover everyday without feeling much pain in my knees or arms the next morning.
Looks like the "Schwäbische Alb" back home:)

Two things that surprised me that day were that I found the first real bicycle-trails (longer than 10 km:D) and that car drivers apparently pay a lot attention on cyclists - in America! Not a single car passed me dangerously. Ok, I witnessed a car accident today but I wasn't involved and nothing really happened.
Only annoying thing on the road are all the motorcycles which are somehow a lot louder than back home, even that loud, you would rather hear the motorcycle than the horn of the ambulance if they would both be right next to you!
Service Stations along a trail, where you can repair or pump up your bike.

Oh, and I almost forgot that I suddenly passed an area where people live like the Amish-people I know from Ohio. These people, mostly farmers live without electricity which is quite impressive and use horse wagons to ride on the street. They even use horses for their farm works with equipment like people used a couple hundred years ago which looks probably really unusual to strangers. They are really nice people and very helpful. One man told me the direction to the campsite where I arrived exactly at sunset.
Farm works with kinda simple equipment

8 horses pulling the plow

Amish markets everywhere

Warning signs because of slow horse-wagons on the street:)

Good timing! and actually a good end of the day if they wouldn't have told me they've been full. No surprise considering that a site for a single tent measures 50x50meters??!!?? Finally they let me sleep on the ball field for 27$ the night !!!
One bad thing about America (of course I still like it:) ) is that it's all about making money. Same with prepaid phone-plans which are like 4 times as expensive than in Europe! Next time I'll sleep anywhere again!
My 26$ site:/

1 Kommentar:

  1. Get daily ideas and methods for earning THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS per day ONLINE totally FREE.
    JOIN NOW

    AntwortenLöschen